Sunday, May 11, 2008

The Dole Pineapple Plantation

While in Hawaii, we went to the Dole Pineapple Plantation. I learned a lot from this trip....mainly, I had absolutely no idea how a pineapple grew. If someone had told me that they grew on a tree or in the ground like a potato, I would have totally believed them....but, not now!!

Jeff made a new friend at the plantation.

Tanya and Jacci in front of a pineapple plant.
Yes, they grow like this!! It takes twenty months before the first pineapple is ready for harvest. After that, they get a new pineapple about every nine months. The average pineapple plant only produces three pineapples and then it is replaced with a new plant. The older the pineapple plant, usually the smaller the fruit is that it bears.

We think Grandpa was a little nervous about getting lost...I'm glad he was thinking ahead for the rest of us!!

The girls getting ready to ride the "Pineapple Express." A cute little train that took us through some fields in the plantation showing us the various stages of harvesting pineapples.
The boys....I think they look more excited for this picture than we did...Could it be that they had heard that the train ride included music??
"TOOT-TOOT!!"
A pineapple field.Bryan and Autumn cozying up on the train!! Cuties!!
A new field getting ready to plant.
At first, I was a little disappointed with the plantation...it just didn't seem as big as I thought it would be. Little did I know that we were only shown a minute part of it. When we had our helicopter ride the next day, we were able to see how massive the plantation really is. We enjoyed a great treat of pineapple ice cream there. YUMMY!!! For some reason pineapples right from Hawaii are the bomb!!

1 comments:

Autumn said...

I'm really wishing we had bought the 'pineapple express' cd! Those were some good tunes! ...maybe we could ask Ryan to sing us a few lines at the next family get together!