Saturday, May 31, 2008

Counting My Many Blessings...

As many of you may know, this has been a very trying week for our family. To point out the highlights: Sunday-stitches and Tuesday-Grandpa going into septic shock and being critical for most of the week. I am grateful that I can look back at the end of this busy and emotional week, and remember some blessings:


1. Today Grandpa told me about what he remembers Tuesday morning. He woke up, walked around for a bit, and then decided he'd go get himself a treat: a Fresca and a candy bar. He got back to his room, enjoyed his treat and was checked on by his nurse. He had to excuse himself to go potty while she was in the room. Miraculously, she stayed in the room and waited for him to get done. The septic shock hit while he was in the bathroom....he had to call for the nurse to help him move. If she had not been right there when she was, who knows if the outcome would have been as favorable as it has been for us. I am so grateful for the blessing and miracle of having people who are where they need to be when needed!



2. Today we got to go to the State Tae Kwon Do Championship Tournament with Kaleb. Yesterday after school, he told me that he didn't want to go and wouldn't elaborate. After his class, he was a little more excited to go. This morning, as we were waiting for him to compete, he practiced his form for us.....apparently, he has been stressing because Jeff has been a little bit too "fault finding" with him to try to help him to do better (just trying to coach him in the best way he can think of). I am grateful that I have been blessed to be a mother and to be sensitive to my children's feelings. After some tears and a little "mommy talk booster" he was ready to try his best even if he didn't win first place. All of his practice and coaching DID pay off, he won first place in his age group for the blue belt form. YAY KALEB!! (I will post pictures later) I'm grateful for the blessing of having a husband that takes an active role in my children's lives, and even though our opinions and parenting styles differ, together we make a good team and try our hardest to raise well-rounded children.



3. Tonight, Maddie kept taking her pj's and diaper off. She finally went upstairs for some privacy. She came back down naked. Kaleb went to go find her diaper for me and found the lovely used toilet paper trail and the poop and pee by the toilet. She cleaned herself well enough that we didn't see anything until we found the "prizes." RRRRR, this little girl!!! As we constantly battle her curiosity and tantrums, I just have to remember that Heavenly Father sent her at this time because she does have such a strong spirit. She has been sent because she has the best potential to be able to withstand the evils of our time and return to her Father in heaven. I don't always remember this as I am fighting her and cleaning up after her...but I know He is very aware of this precious little girl.


4. After the poop incident, I finished cleaning up our kitchen from dinner. Garet came in and asked me if I would play "Sorry!" with him. I bit my tongue and told him I would in a minute. I actually forgot for a bit and folded some laundry. When I went back by the kitchen, I saw that he had set the board up for us to play and was sitting patiently waiting for me. I humbly sat down and played the game with him as he told me about his day at Jace's house and t-ball practice. I am so grateful for the little things our children do to teach us to be better parents!!

I am truly blessed!!

7 comments:

Rochelle said...

I love counting many blessings. It really does help us see the little blessings in EVERY thing! I have kept Mike in my thoughts all week and I am so grateful he is doing better! Enjoy every moment! We love you all!

Autumn said...

That was a sweet post. Way to go Kaleb on winning first place! What would we do without Maddie to make us laugh?! I hope Garet had fun with Bryan and the kids all day. Next time I'll be home and I can watch Beastie too! Love you!

tanya.... said...

That post was a really touching one. I think it helps us also. Way to go Kaleb.

Rochelle said...

I am laughing so hard. I can only imagine what someone would have thought if they'd seen you do this. LOL LOL

Rochelle said...

You need to put a link on your picture so I can read all of the past confessions.

Cami said...

As to your confession: Bonnie!!!! yuck yuck and double yuck!!!! oh my heck!!! I was laughing my head off. So disgusting. You poor thing.

Bonnie said...

I don't know why I remebered that yesterday when I was cleaning out my laundry room, but I had to share. Luckily, no one came in while I was in there. Rochelle, there is a link on the sidebar further down for "Past Confessions." I've been somewhat of a slacker lately...