Thursday, July 17, 2008

Every Girl Loves Her Shoes....

But now, little Miss Maddie is limited to only one pair.
I took her to the podiatrist on Tuesday morning. She walks a bit funny: her right foot is almost at a right angle in and her left one is about 45 degrees in. So, "pigeon-toed" to the extreme. She walks on her toes and trips a lot. When she was born, we noticed that she looked extremely bow-legged with her feet meeting. We thought it a little odd and joked about her "being from Lehi." Apparently, we should have been extremely concerned. The podiatrist said that she should have been in casts at 6 months old to help correct the foot bones. Now, her foot bones have developed incorrectly, and it affects her knees and hips. Her hips are not "open" and her knees point in. So, now we have to try to "correct" all of this with therapy. She has to wear tennis shoes all of the time with orthopedic inserts and we have to do stretches on her legs and hips to try to re-open them. The podiatrist will see her again in a year (or sooner if her feet start growing rapidly) to re-evaluate her and tell us what to do next. My advice to everyone is that if you notice something about your child, don't assume that your pediatrician will catch it in the ten minutes that he is seeing them for their Well Checks. I really wish I had addressed this a lot sooner

5 comments:

Susie said...

I'm so sorry! That's going to be a part of your life for a long time. My friend had a similar experience, sort of. Her son was born with a port-wine stain, and she was worried about it. Her family practice doctor told her it was no big deal and not to worry. Then she switched doctors and he told her that if they didn't do laser treatments immediately, it could cause him to go blind!
So yeah, trust your instinct, and not your doctors. They're wonderful, but you can't expect them to notice everything.
I'm sorry Maddie can't wear her cute shoes anymore. Not even to church?

Bonnie said...

I'm debating about wearing them to Church. The doctor made it sound like "no exceptions." She has sores on both of her ankles right now because she is not used to wearing tennis shoes--I just bought her thicker socks today. I feel like a big meanie about the whole thing...at least she thinks her shoes are "pwetty."

Cami said...

I'm sorry Bonnie! I hope that it won't take too long to correct and that she won't have a hard time wearing only one pair of shoes all the time. Heidi would be freaking! She has to change her shoes every day. I am glad you found out now though, now you can correct it. I agree with Susie to trust your instincts!! Dr.'s don't always know everything, and I have been right a lot of the time even though they insisted they were. It will be ok though....not forever, and she will be back in those cute shoes in no time!

Autumn said...

Her new shoes are pwetty! Hope her little sores heal soon...those are so sad! Poor baby! Glad you finally took her...what if you would have waited!? Crazy! Love that girl...even if she walks crazy! :)

Ella said...

I can imagine your frustration with not starting treatments sooner. I am glad there are treatments and I totally think you should have her in the tennies at church. I won't allow her into the nursery without them!